Mostly about food, this blog is just a place for me to throw things that are of interest to me. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by an look around. This represents just some of the stops on the various pathways that this amateur home cook finds himself.

You may find that these foods tend toward protein and away from carbohydrates - this is due to diabetic issues, so I try to only sparingly use carbs, and good ones at that. Of course, sometimes I forget....

Feel free to drop me a line with any suggestions or just to let me know what you think. Thanks!

If you c


Search This Blog

A Little Navigation...

Yá át ééh!

I want to thank you for the time that you spend here, and hope that you can find useful things here.

Hagoonee'


Thursday, December 4, 2008

”Piglets”

I don't know if any of you have done these, but it makes a nice little treat if you are looking for a change. I call them "piglets" - what could be better than tender pork wrapped in bacon?

After picking up two nice-sized pork tenderloins, I trimmed them up and removed the silver skin. Starting at the thick end, I sliced them about 1 1/4" thick, and as it got smaller I made the slices thicker. These smaller slices I pounded a bit to get them the same dimension as the other slices. Each of these gets wrapped with a nice slice of hearty bacon.


A litter of piglets just produced:


Tonight's guys thawed and ready to go:

When cooking, I treat the piglets to some EVOO and fresh ground sea salt and coarse-ground pepper. The pork is super-tender, and the bacon and seasoning make a nice little crust. They are pretty rich, and two is a decent serving per person. Pretty inexpensive if you need a fancy item for a dinner or a party. My next time out I am going to run them on a skewer for grilling, that might be easier than turning them individually, and it would look cool. Here's the result:

Mmmmmm....!

2 comments:

James McCullen said...

Is this at all healthy? What kind of cholesterol does a bacon wrapped porky pork fat treat like this have? Will I get obese and heart disease from eating a snack like this? Should I even be concerned with my health at all by eating this? Or should I just dive in to an early grave and try your suggested recipe?

Mark said...

Well, it's like this. They are only about 2" across, and the pork tenderloin is about the leanest cut of pork there is. Sure, the bacon adds some fat, but at half a slice per, it isn't much except flavor. It could be worse I guess, I could have shown the ones that I cut a pocket in and stuffed with pork sausage...

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the comment!