- 1 pound of fresh green beans, plus or minus
- 2-3 tbsp of bacon grease
- 1/4 cup cooked crumbled bacon
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup onion, chopped small
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste
MethodRemove the stem ends of the green beans by either snapping or cutting them off. Remove the strings, if any. Melt the bacon fat in a skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and onions and cook until starting to wilt. Add the bacon and saute until soft. Add in the beans and toss together until beans are coated.
Cook for a few minutes until the beans brighten up green. Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well, then stirring occasionally as the stock reduces. Increase heat to medium high and stir until beans start to caramelize. Remove from heat and serve hot.
Here are the finished beans as part of a nice all-veggie dinner, a rarity for me.