Mostly about food, this blog is just a place for me to throw things that are of interest to me. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by an look around. This represents just some of the stops on the various pathways that this amateur home cook finds himself.

You may find that these foods tend toward protein and away from carbohydrates - this is due to diabetic issues, so I try to only sparingly use carbs, and good ones at that. Of course, sometimes I forget....

Feel free to drop me a line with any suggestions or just to let me know what you think. Thanks!

If you c


Search This Blog

A Little Navigation...

Yá át ééh!

I want to thank you for the time that you spend here, and hope that you can find useful things here.

Hagoonee'


Monday, June 6, 2011

FireCrackers

Don't blame me for perspiration or weight gain!


These things are far too delicious and addictive - when you make them be sure to give most of them away or you'll weigh 500 lbs. These simple little fiery nuggets are based on a recipe I got from my dear friend Nanette - I just tweaked it.

Ingredients:
1 box (4 sleeves) 100% wheat saltine crackers (wheat is important)
1 envelope of dry Hidden Vally Ranch Dip / Salad Dressing mix.
1 1/4 cup of light canola oil
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons dried red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon caraway seed (recommended but optional, but really fills out the taste)
6 tablespoons dried parsley (optional, but makes a nice addition)

Method:
Basically, you combine all the ingredients except the crackers and whisk them into a frenzy to combine well. I cheat and use my stick blender (immersion blender) in a mason jar - it's much faster and easier. Next, you pour it over the crackers and make sure they are all evenly coated.

I do this by using a large rubber spatula in a large plastic bowl, turning them over gently for a while until the oil is all absorbed. I have a friend who puts them in a seal-able plastic cake box and shakes them like crazy. Whatever floats your boat, the idea is to just get them all coated so the spices coat the crackers. I use wheat crackers as as barely-noticeable nod to healthiness, but you can use the regular crackers if you like. You may have to let them sit and go back and re-stir them a couple of times to get everything absorbed. Let them sit for a while before you dive in, and they will be less greasy.

I recently took a double batch of these to a church get-together, but I made them with only half the listed amount of red pepper flakes. Most folks still thought it was too hot!

Let me know if you try these and especially if you tweak the recipe to make it better!

2 comments:

Willoughby said...

Those would be great party snacks! They sound delicious!

Angela B. said...

Love quick and easy munchies!! :D I will have to try this!