Mostly about food, this blog is just a place for me to throw things that are of interest to me. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by an look around. This represents just some of the stops on the various pathways that this amateur home cook finds himself.

You may find that these foods tend toward protein and away from carbohydrates - this is due to diabetic issues, so I try to only sparingly use carbs, and good ones at that. Of course, sometimes I forget....

Feel free to drop me a line with any suggestions or just to let me know what you think. Thanks!

If you c


Search This Blog

A Little Navigation...

Yá át ééh!

I want to thank you for the time that you spend here, and hope that you can find useful things here.

Hagoonee'


Monday, March 15, 2010

First hot-fast brisket - amazing results!

I just finished my first hot & fast CAB choice brisket today on the WSM 22 at about 300 degrees. It was an eye-opening experience (thanks, Konrad!). One thing I tried which was a bit of extra work was to separate the point and flat and trim of all the excess fat. These I panned separately. I flipped them over and foiled the pans as each got to 165. In the pans was the au jus that the brisket had created to which I added some water and flavoring liquid.

Without having to heat up all that fat must have made an immense difference! The panned point was at 200 after only 3 hours, and the flat was at 185! Half an hour later I checked the flat at 200, and pulled it as well. They rested for an hour in a 170 degree warming oven, swimming in the juices. Doing the pieces separately made it easy to control consistency without it being a compromise. Both had a great smoke ring as well. I saw no issues from having removed all that fat cap and the stuff surrounding the point. It was still very juicy, very tender and had a great flavor.

That's going from into the pit to into the stomach in less than 5 hours, including resting, for a 14+ lb. brisket.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I know a lot of folks have tried this on the forum but I hadn't made the leap yet. Yours looks excellent!

So you separated the point and flat before the cook or at the foiling stage? I wasn't clear on that.

I might try a high temp one soon.

Mark said...

Chris, you just have to take the leap. Yes, I separated them first and removed all the surface fat. They were smoked in foil pans separately in the smoker.

Unknown said...

It seems that your smoked beef brisket looks a little bit different than I saw in the other blogs. I think that your brisket is juicier and well cooked.

Mark said...

Andrew, I was very pleased with the way it turned out. Using the pans most likely helped it stay moist, and a lot of the credit has to go to the WSM - it's just the best vertical out there.